Saturday, March 14, 2009

Surgery Story, Part 1 :-)

It has been suggested that attempting to write (or type) might help me get back to where I was before my brain surgery as far as the brain damage goes. So, although I may need an hour to write a paragraph (not exaggerating) and although at times you may have to try to understand what I'm attempting to tell you, I will try... hopefully without throwing my laptop down on my bed too many times. :-P

To make it easier on me (and also easier for you to read) I'm going to break it up into parts, rather than write one long entry.

I'll start with that morning.

**************************

On December 4th, 2008, I woke up to my rather annoying alarm and allowed myself to lay there for a moment. "God, please don't let this be the last time I wake up in my own bed." The thought surprised me, because I'd been doing fairly well emotionally as far as the surgery and had been able to keep my fears somewhat in check. I threw my clothes on, grabbed the bag I'd packed for the hospital, and my parents & I started the drive to the hospital. They stopped for coffee, and I was sad because I was SO thirsty & hungry - but no food or drink for me, not even water, not until I was cleared after surgery.

We arrived at Inova Fairfax Hospital rather early - I want to say it was about 5:45am, and my "check-in" time for surgery prep was 6:30am. As Earl dropped Mom & I off at the door of the Surgery Center, I took a picture. "Blogging!" I told my Mom. She rolled her eyes, laughed, and we walked in. I signed in, was given a stack of papers, and the receptionist handed me a pager. "When this goes off, come to the door." I went to the seating area and began filling out papers.

Eventually Earl got back, and my Grandma and Uncle Ralph arrived. I don't know why... I told them they didn't need to come, it was 6am for crying out loud!!!!!! But they came anyway. My Grandma was afraid I was going to die. I tried to reassure her. More pictures. The people across from us looked at me like I was crazy.

IF THEY ONLY KNEW!!!

I explained that it was for blogging, they laughed, and we traded "Why are YOU here?" explanations. Finally, the pager went off. After hugs & kisses, my Mom and I went to the door and met the nurse. "Michelle Baker?" "Yes, ma'am." "And who is this?" "This is my mother. She's coming with me." She didn't really look like she knew how to respond to that, but we'd been told I could have 1 person with me, and she took us back. I was handed the oh-so-fashionable gown and went into the bathroom to change.

When I came out, there was Pastor King!!!!!!!!!! At 6:30am!!!!!! He'd brought along the college leader from our church, who graduated from Cedarville a few years back. We had a time of prayer, right there in the hallway. It was very good. I thank God that they made it there when they did.

Then it was off to a curtained-off room, where it was time to sign more papers & wait...

...just like you have to wait for Part 2!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope my comments make you smile! No guarantee though. I am amazed at your humor, outlook, and kindness. I too have suffered from severe pain now for 15 years and counting. I also have a friend who used to self-injure. I also had a father who was violent and dangerous. I appreciate your candor and pray that you will continue to heal. My friend had a procedure at a Philadelphia hospital where they inserted needles in her brain during a migraine and cured her for good! She too had gone thru brain surgery and spinal taps. Don't give up! Thinking of you in Florida, Ann