Friday, May 1, 2009

Swine Flu & Shunt Malfunction

Medically-speaking, I'm in a LOT of trouble.

First, I was just exposed to Swine Flu. Now, you may react like my Mom and say, "But Michelle, there aren't any confirmed cases in your area." Well, that's because this case I was exposed to isn't CDC confirmed... it IS confirmed through a blood test done at my doctor's office. So now, if I develop symptoms, I'm in trouble.

Why, you ask?

Where do I even start?

There's the fact that I need to be "surgery ready" at all times - ready to go into emergency brain surgery in case something's wrong with my shunt, as shunt malfunction or infection can kill in 24 hours.

There's the fact that my head ALWAYS hurts, so if I happen to get a fever, we won't know if it's shunt or Swine Flu - meaning I may go in for emergency surgery unnecessarily.

And then there's the fact that I'll end up in the hospital for ANY symptoms of anything in order to make sure they can get me into surgery before I'm in a coma if it comes to that.

So the bedridden girl who never leaves home got exposed to Swine Flu. I leave my house and this is what happens. :-P

I still believe... but, Lord, please give me a break!

5 comments:

Tami said...

AUGH. How frustrating. We'll be praying. Is there any way they can put you on Tamiflu as a preventative? I know doctors and emergency workers do that.

Michelle said...

Tami -
Thanks for the prayers! Because I live just outside of D.C. (Northern Virginia) I listen to CSPAN radio while I'm sitting in traffic (rush hour is about 7 hours long here, so songs get old very quickly). They were saying that Tamiflu is still in the national stock location, wherever that may be. I'm not sure if local offices have it yet or not, and I'm fairly sure that there are some restrictions on it because otherwise there'd be a rush & legitimate patients wouldn't have access to it.

The problem is that my exposure was AT the doctor's office - I was sitting next to someone who later put on a mask after she kept coughing all over, and an hour later got her results back that it was swine flu. So I don't live with someone who has it & my exposure's over. Usually I'm eligible for special priority (the seasonal flu vaccine, etc.) due to my other health issues, but honestly, I doubt they'll do much for me right now with this. Not to mention that I'm not "supposed" to know there's a case here - it's not being reported because it has to be re-confirmed by the state & CDC.

Even if I DO qualify, by the time they open again on Monday, there's no point, it'll have been in my system for too long if I really did contract it. When I got home, I put all my clothes I was wearing in their own load of wash, and took a shower & washed my hair to de-contaminate. I already wash my hands ALL THE TIME (we're talking using hand sanitizer after washing, very extreme) to keep me from catching things. SO... my only risk would be if I breathed it in from her coughing. And by the time she told me why she was there, getting a mask for myself wouldn't have done any good, it'd been nearly an hour already.

Thanks again for praying - I'm praying for you & your family as well!

- michelle

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I'm praying for you:)

Svetlana said...

Wow, Michelle we will pray for u. Anna can't get any flu shots, because of her plasma exchange. It won't stay in her system because it will come out with her plasma. They not even talking about give her Tamiflu medication.

junglemama said...

I am sorry. You must be frustrated.... I know I would be. But I love your strength and optimism Michelle. You'll be alright. Big hugs.