My condition has taken a turn for the worse.
As a result, a second procedure has been scheduled for Friday, my upcoming surgery has been bumped forward, and my doctors are focusing on making me as comfortable as possible.
Starting today, I'll be wearing a patch that releases pain medication into my system 24/7. This is the same medication used for people who have cancer or AIDS and need extremely strong pain relief around-the-clock. I've also got medication to take on an "as needed" basis for breakthrough pain.
On Friday, I will have a repeat of the procedure done a week & a half ago. If this is a success as it was the first time, we will be going back to Johns Hopkins to meet with the specialist to determine which surgery to go forward with to make the effects of these procedures permanent. Most likely will be a surgery to implant a device in my brain to control certain nerves.
This is all as a result of my increasing pain levels and, unfortunately, my tolerance to pain medications. I reached my breaking point, where I couldn't handle the incredible amount of pain I've been in, taking so much medication that I'm destroying my body and not even having those medications give me much pain relief at all. This is why we're trying to just focus on pain control right now. The ultimate goal is to have less pain while taking less medication and allowing me to become more active.
Please pray... for pain management, my mental/emotional ability to deal with the pain & procedures, for wisdom for my doctors, for the success of this procedure on Friday, and for everything to go smoothly in planning for the upcoming surgery, as well as for my parents & family as they both care for me & help me make decisions and help take care of the logistics of everything.
I'll update when I can.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Praying for you, and hoping you get some relief from your pain. The Lord is with you always!
Praying hard for your pain, both mentality and physically, your families, your doctors and your surgery.
Your post "To Live" Feb. 16, is so comforting to ME as I learn of your current challenges. Oh how I pray you'll get relief from the unrelenting physical pain and deep comfort and peace for your emotional agony. I made a comment on Feb. 23 which I "second" today.
I commend you to your own words of faith and hope...and the greatest of all, love.
"When I'm put to sleep for my next brain surgery, I will fall asleep knowing the same things I knew the first 2 times: if God wants me to hang out here awhile longer, there's a reason. And if He feels that He has accomplished through me all that He created me to do, He will call me HOME. Whenever I get there, that is when I will truly start to live."
Psalm 33:20 "We wait in hope for the LORD; He is our help and our shield."
Post a Comment